Chicken and Tortilla Soup
- In a 6-quart Dutch oven combine water, chicken, onion, 1/2 cup chopped carrot, the celery, 8 cilantro sprigs, the cumin, chili powder, ancho chile pepper, oregano, and bay leaves. Bring to boiling, reduce heat. Cover and simmer for 1 to 1 1/2 hours or until the chicken is very tender.
- Meanwhile, heat 1/2 inch of corn oil in a large heavy saucepan to 375 degrees F. Add tortilla strips, about one-fourth at a time, and cook for 30 to 60 seconds or until crispy and light golden. Using a slotted spoon, transfer strips to paper towels. Season with salt.
- Using tongs, remove chicken from liquid; cool chicken. Strain remaining liquid and discard solids. Return liquid to Dutch oven along with the chicken broth. Bring to a simmer over medium heat.
- Remove meat from bones and discard bones. Tear chicken into 1-inch pieces. Add to pot along with the two sliced carrots. Simmer for 3 minutes. Add the sugar snap peas, zucchini, tomato, and jalapeno. Simmer about 3 minutes or until vegetables tender. Season to taste with salt and black pepper.
- Ladle soup into bowls. Top with cheddar cheese, tortilla strips, and cilantro.
From the Test Kitchen
Because chile peppers contain volatile oils that can burn your skin and eyes, avoid direct contact with them as much as possible. When working with chile peppers, wear plastic or rubber gloves. If your bare hands do touch the peppers, wash your hands and nails well with soap and warm water.
Nutrition Facts (Chicken and Tortilla Soup)
- Per serving:
- 375 kcal cal.,
- 14 g fat
- (2 g sat. fat,
- 7 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 4 g monounsatured fat),
- 89 mg chol.,
- 618 mg sodium,
- 29 g carb.,
- 6 g fiber,
- 6 g sugar,
- 34 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet