Chicken and Shrimp Jambalaya
pound skinless, boneless chicken breast halves or thighs
cups thinly sliced celery (4 stalks)
cups chopped onions (2 large)
14 1/2 ounce can no-salt-added diced tomatoes, undrained
14 ounce can reduced-sodium chicken broth
of a 6-ounce can (1/3 cup) no-salt-added tomato paste
recipe Homemade Salt-Free Cajun Seasoning or 1-1/2 teaspoons salt-free Cajun seasoning
cloves garlic, minced
cups uncooked instant brown rice
cup chopped green, red, and/or yellow sweet pepper
ounces fresh or frozen peeled and deveined cooked shrimp*
tablespoons snipped fresh Italian (flat-leaf) parsley
Celery leaves (optional)
- Cut chicken into 3/4-inch pieces. In a 3-1/2- or 4-quart slow cooker combine chicken, celery, onions, tomatoes, broth, tomato paste, Homemade Salt-Free Cajun Seasoning, garlic, and salt.
- Cover and cook on low-heat setting for 4-1/2 to 5-1/2 hours or on high-heat setting for 2-1/4 to 2-3/4 hours.
- If using low-heat setting, turn to high-heat setting. Stir in uncooked rice and sweet pepper. Cover and cook about 30 minutes more or until most of the liquid is absorbed and rice is tender.
- Before serving, thaw shrimp, if frozen. Stir shrimp and parsley into chicken mixture. If desired, garnish each serving with celery leaves.
From the Test Kitchen
If desired, leave the tails on the shrimp.
Homemade Cajun Seasoning
teaspoon ground white pepper
teaspoon garlic powder
teaspoon onion powder
teaspoon ground black pepper
teaspoon cayenne pepper
- In a small bowl stir together white pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, black pepper, and cayenne pepper.
Nutrition Facts(Chicken and Shrimp Jambalaya)
- Per serving:
- 211 kcal cal.,
- 2 g fat
- 88 mg chol.,
- 415 mg sodium,
- 26 g carb.,
- 4 g fiber,
- 23 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet