Chicken and Shrimp Jambalaya
pound skinless, boneless chicken breast halves or thighs, cut into 3/4-inch pieces
cups thinly sliced celery (4 stalks)
cups chopped onions (2 large)
14 1/2 ounce can no-salt-added diced tomatoes, undrained
14 1/2 ounce can reduced-sodium chicken broth
6 ounce can no-salt-added tomato paste (1/3 cup)
recipe Homemade Salt-Free Cajun Seasoning or 1 1/2 teaspoons salt-free Cajun seasoning
cloves garlic, minced
cups uncooked instant brown rice
cup chopped green, red, and/or yellow sweet pepper (1 medium)
ounces fresh or frozen peeled and deveined cooked shrimp (tails on, if desired)
tablespoons snipped fresh Italian (flat-leaf) parsley
Celery leaves (optional)
- In a 3 1/2- or 4-quart slow cooker combine chicken, celery, onions, tomatoes, broth, tomato paste, Homemade Salt-Free Cajun Seasoning, garlic, and salt.
- Cover and cook on low-heat setting for 4 1/2 to 5 1/2 hours or on high-heat setting for 2 1/4 to 2 3/4 hours.
- If using low-heat setting, turn cooker to high-heat setting. Stir in uncooked rice and sweet pepper. Cover and cook about 30 minutes more or until most of the liquid is absorbed and rice is tender.
- To serve, thaw shrimp, if frozen. Stir shrimp and parsley into chicken mixture. If desired, garnish each serving with celery leaves.
Homemade Salt-Free Cajun Seasoning
teaspoon onion powder
teaspoon garlic powder
teaspoon ground white pepper
teaspoon black pepper
teaspoon cayenne pepper
- In a small bowl stir together onion powder, garlic powder, white pepper, paprika, black pepper, and cayenne pepper.
Nutrition Facts(Chicken and Shrimp Jambalaya)
- Per serving:
- 211 kcal cal.,
- 2 g fat
- 88 mg chol.,
- 415 mg sodium,
- 26 g carb.,
- 4 g fiber,
- 23 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet