Chicken and Rice with Mole
14 1/2 ounce can diced tomatoes, undrained
cup chopped onion (1 medium)
cup slivered almonds, toasted
tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
tablespoons bottled chopped jalapeno peppers
tablespoon sesame seeds
cloves garlic, quartered
teaspoon ground cinnamon
teaspoon ground nutmeg
teaspoon ground coriander
2 1/2 pound broiler-fryer chicken, cut up
tablespoons quick-cooking tapioca
tablespoons slivered almonds, toasted
cups hot cooked brown rice
- For mole, in a blender or food processor combine tomatoes, onion, 1/4 cup almonds, raisins, cocoa powder, jalapeno peppers, sesame seeds, garlic, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, and coriander. Cover and blend or process until nearly smooth.
- Remove skin from chicken. Line a 3-1/2- or 4-quart slow cooker with a disposable slow cooker liner (or coat cooker with nonstick cooking spray). Sprinkle tapioca in bottom of the prepared cooker. Add chicken. Pour mole over chicken.
- Cover and cook on low-heat setting for 9 to 10 hours or on high-heat setting for 4-1/2 to 5 hours.
- Transfer chicken to a serving platter. Stir mole; pour over chicken. Sprinkle with 2 tablespoons almonds. Serve with hot cooked rice.
Nutrition Facts(Chicken and Rice with Mole)
- Per serving:
- 287 kcal cal.,
- 8 g fat
- (1 g sat. fat,
- 2 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 4 g monounsatured fat),
- 63 mg chol.,
- 331 mg sodium,
- 30 g carb.,
- 3 g fiber,
- 6 g sugar,
- 24 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet