Chicken and Pumpkin Tagine Stew
- In a small bowl combine salt, crushed red pepper, cardamom, cloves, turmeric, cinnamon, ginger, and black pepper. Sprinkle 1 tablespoon of the spice mixture evenly over chicken; rub in with your fingers.
- In a 4-quart Dutch oven heat 2 teaspoons of the oil over medium heat. Add chicken; cook for 6 to 8 minutes or until brown, turning occasionally. Remove chicken. Add the remaining 1 teaspoon oil to Dutch oven. Add onions, garlic, and saffron; cook and stir for 2 minutes. Add pumpkin. Sprinkle with 2 teaspoons of the spice mixture; toss gently to coat. (Reserve remaining spice mixture for another use.)
- Return chicken to Dutch oven; add broth. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, covered, for 1 hour. Add raisins; simmer, covered, for 10 to 25 minutes more or until chicken is no longer pink (170 degrees F for breasts, 180 degrees for thighs and drumsticks) and pumpkin is tender.
- Using a slotted spoon, transfer chicken and pumpkin to a serving platter; drizzle with honey. Spoon desired amount of pan juices over chicken. Sprinkle with parsley.
From the Test Kitchen
To seed and peel the pumpkin, remove stem end by carving a circle around stem large enough to spoon out cavity; remove stem. Remove seeds from pumpkin cavity. Using the pumpkin ribs as a guide, slice pumpkin into wedges. Remove skin from each wedge; cut wedges into 1-inch chunks.
Nutrition Facts (Chicken and Pumpkin Tagine Stew)
- Per serving:
- 332 kcal cal.,
- 8 g fat
- (2 g sat. fat,
- 1 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 4 g monounsatured fat),
- 61 mg chol.,
- 369 mg sodium,
- 46 g carb.,
- 5 g fiber,
- 12 g sugar,
- 23 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet