Chicken and Cheese Chile Rellenos
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with foil; set aside. Trim a thin slice off the top of each chile pepper to remove the stem.* Remove seeds from insides of chile peppers and discard. Place chile peppers on prepared baking sheet. Roast for 20 to 25 minutes or until chile peppers are charred and very tender, turning peppers occasionally. Bring foil up around chile peppers and fold edges together to enclose. Let stand about 15 minutes or until cool enough to handle. Using a sharp knife, loosen edges of skins; gently pull off skins in strips and discard.
- Carefully rinse cactus leaf, if using fresh leaf; pat dry. Holding cactus leaf with tongs, use a small, sharp knife to carefully scrape off eyes around edges and on both sides of leaf; discard. Chop cactus leaf.
- Coat a large nonstick skillet with cooking spray; heat skillet over medium heat. Add sweet pepper and onion to hot skillet. Cook for 3 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add chopped fresh cactus leaf (if using) and garlic. Cook for 3 to 4 minutes more or until tender, stirring occasionally. Transfer mixture to a bowl; set aside.
- Add oil to the skillet; heat over medium-high heat. Add chicken. Cook for 3 to 5 minutes or until no longer pink, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat. Add onion mixture, canned nopalitos (if using), cheese, and cilantro to chicken mixture. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl whisk together eggs, 1/4 cup of the flour, the milk, salt, and black pepper. Add 1/2 cup of the egg mixture to the chicken mixture; stir until well mixed. Pour the remaining egg mixture into a pie plate. In another pie plate or a shallow dish combine the remaining 1/4 cup flour and the cornmeal.
- Line a baking sheet with foil; coat foil with cooking spray. Set aside. Spoon chicken mixture evenly into the cavities of the roasted chile peppers.** Dip filled chile peppers in egg mixture, turning to coat all sides. Allow excess to drip off; dip filled peppers in cornmeal mixture, turning to coat all sides. Place coated chile peppers on prepared baking sheet. Lightly coat chile peppers with cooking spray.
- Bake in the 425 degrees F oven for 15 to 20 minutes or until peppers are lightly browned and filling is heated through. Serve with salsa. If desired, garnish with cilantro.
From the Test Kitchen
Because chile peppers contain volatile oils that can burn your skin and eyes, avoid direct contact with them as much as possible. When working with chile peppers, wear plastic or rubber gloves. If your bare hands do touch the peppers, wash your hands and nails well with soap and warm water.
To fill chile peppers, stand peppers, one at a time, in a mug or short glass. Spoon filling into pepper.
Nutrition Facts (Chicken and Cheese Chile Rellenos)
- Per serving:
- 403 kcal cal.,
- 10 g fat
- (4 g sat. fat,
- 2 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 3 g monounsatured fat),
- 56 mg chol.,
- 651 mg sodium,
- 45 g carb.,
- 3 g fiber,
- 5 g sugar,
- 31 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet