Chia Fudgy Brownies
- In a small bowl combine the water and chia seeds. Cover and let stand at room temperature for 12 to 24 hours. Stir before using.
- In a medium saucepan cook and stir chocolate over low heat until melted and smooth. Remove from heat; cool. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line an 8x8x2-inch baking pan with foil, extending the foil over edges of pan. Grease foil; set pan aside.
- Stir sugar into the cooled chocolate in saucepan. Add eggs, one at a time, beating with a wooden spoon after each addition just until combined. Stir in chia seed mixture and vanilla.
- In a small bowl stir together flour, baking soda, and, if desired, espresso powder. Add flour mixture to chocolate mixture; stir just until combined. If desired, stir in nuts. Pour batter into the prepared baking pan; spread evenly.
- Bake for 30 minutes. Cool in pan on a wire rack. If desired, top with additional espresso powder and/or powdered sugar. Using the edges of the foil, lift the uncut brownies out of pan. Place on a cutting board; cut into bars.
From the Test Kitchen
Look for chia seeds in the natural foods aisle of your grocery store or at a health food market.
Nutrition Facts (Chia Fudgy Brownies)
- Per serving:
- 109 kcal cal.,
- 4 g fat
- (2 g sat. fat,
- 0 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 1 g monounsatured fat),
- 23 mg chol.,
- 30 mg sodium,
- 19 g carb.,
- 1 g fiber,
- 13 g sugar,
- 2 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet