Maraschino cherries fill these fluffy bite-size cookies, while powdered sugar and red edible glitter give them their snowy appearance.
- Makes: 48 servings
- Yields: about 48 cookies
- Prep: 40 mins
- Bake: 18 mins 325°F per batch
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Drain chopped maraschino cherries on paper towels; pat dry to remove any excess liquid. Set cherries aside.
- In a large mixing bowl beat butter with an electric mixer on medium to high speed for 30 seconds. Add the 1/2 cup powdered sugar, almond extract, and vanilla. Beat until combined, scraping sides of bowl occasionally. Beat in as much of the flour as you can with the mixer. Using a wooden spoon, stir in any remaining flour, the walnuts, and maraschino cherries.
- Shape dough into 1-inch balls. Place balls 2 inches apart on an ungreased cookie sheet. Bake for 18 to 20 minutes or until bottoms are light brown. Cool on cookie sheets for 5 minutes.
- If desired, stir some red edible glitter into additional powdered sugar. Roll warm cookies in the powdered sugar mixture to coat. Place cookies on wire racks; cool. If desired, roll cooled cookies in the powdered sugar mixture again before serving.
From the Test Kitchen
To toast nuts, preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Spread nuts in a single layer in a shallow baking pan. Bake for 8 to 10 minutes or until nuts are light golden brown, stirring once or twice. Cool completely.
Layer cookies between sheets of waxed paper in an airtight container; cover. Store at room temperature for up to 3 days or freeze for up to 3 months.
Nutrition Facts (Cherry-Walnut Balls)
- Per serving:
- 74 kcal cal.,
- 5 g fat
- (3 g sat. fat,
- 1 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 1 g monounsatured fat),
- 10 mg chol.,
- 34 mg sodium,
- 6 g carb.,
- 0 g fiber,
- 2 g sugar,
- 1 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet