Cherry Tomato Pie
When you have a really juicy filling like the one in this pie, try a double-crust base. Double-lining your pie dish forms an extra-sturdy shell, and it's especially delicious if you love the crust as much as the filling.
- Makes: 8 servings
- Prep: 30 mins
- Stand: 1 hr 20 mins
- Bake: 15 mins 400°F plus 35 minutes at 375 degrees F
Cherry Tomato Pie
15 ounce package rolled refrigerated unbaked piecrust (2 crust)
cup finely shredded Parmesan cheese
cup finely chopped sweet onion
cups cherry tomatoes
tablespoon olive oil
cup fresh basil, finely chopped
teaspoon kosher salt
teaspoon black pepper
8 ounce package cream cheese, softened
egg yolk, lighlty beaten
teaspoon finely shredded lemon peel
cup thinly sliced leaf lettuce
Lemon wedges (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. In a large skillet cook bacon until just done but not crisp. Transfer to paper towel; drain. Reserve 1 Tbsp. bacon drippings in skillet; set aside.
- Let piecrust stand at room temperature for 20 minutes. On a lightly floured surface, stack the two piecrusts. Roll from center to edges to form a 12-inch circle. Wrap pastry around a rolling pin; unroll pastry into a 9-inch deep-dish pie plate. (Sides should be 2 to 2 1/2 inches deep). Ease pastry into pie plate, allowing edges to form a loose ruffled or scalloped effect. Gently press pastry into the bottom of pie plate. Sides will not lay flat against pie plate. Prick bottom of pastry.
- Line pastry with a double thickness of foil; bake 10 minutes. Remove foil; bake 5 minutes more. Remove, and reduce heat to 375 degrees F. Sprinkle 1/2 cup of the cheese over the piecrust. Place half the bacon slices around the edge of the crust. Set aside.
- Cook onion in reserved bacon dripping over medium heat until tender. Drain drippings. Set aside.
- Halve 2 cups of the cherry tomatoes, leaving the remaining 2 cups whole. Place the halved and whole tomatoes in a large mixing bowl. Add olive oil, 2 Tbsp. of the basil, salt, and 1/4 tsp. of the pepper. Stir to combine.
- In a separate bowl beat together cream cheese, mayonnaise, egg yolk, cooked onion, lemon peel, and remaining Parmesan, basil, and pepper.
- Spoon cream cheese mixture into piecrust.Top with tomato mixture. Nestle the remaining bacon slices among the tomatoes, weaving bacon between tomatoes. Gently press tomatoes and bacon into the cream cheese mixture.
- Bake pie until tomatoes just begin to brown, about 35 minutes. (Loosely cover pie with foil if edges brown too quickly.) Let stand 60 minutes.
- Top with leaf lettuce and serve with lemon wedges.
Nutrition Facts (Cherry Tomato Pie)
- 432 kcal cal.;
- 30 g Fat, total;
- 59 mg chol.;
- 12 g sat. fat;
- 30 g carb.;
- 11 g Monosaturated fat;
- 6 g Polyunsaturated fat;
- 1 g fiber;
- 4 g sugar;
- 8 g pro.;
- 1 mg iron;
- 0 mg Thiamin;
- 1356 IU vit. A;
- 14 mg vit. C;
- 0 mg Riboflavin;
- 1 mg Niacin;
- 0 mg Pyridoxine (Vit. B6);
- 0 g Trans fatty acid;
- 24 µg Folate;
- 0 µg Cobalamin (Vit. B12);
- 714 mg sodium;
- 311 mg Potassium;
- 118 mg calcium
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet