- Makes: 36 servings
- Serving Size: 1 cookie
- Yields: 36 cookies
- Prep: 40 mins
- Chill: 2 hrs
- Bake: 8 mins to 9 mins 375°F per batch
- In a large mixing bowl beat butter with an electric mixer on medium to high speed for 30 seconds. Add granulated sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Beat until combined, scraping sides of bowl occasionally. Beat in sour cream, egg, lemon peel, and vanilla until combined. Beat in as much of the flour as you can with the mixer. Stir in any remaining flour. Divide dough into four equal portions. Cover and chill dough about 2 hours or until easy to handle.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Line cookie sheets with parchment paper; set aside. On a lightly floured surface roll one portion of the dough at a time into a 7 1/2 x 7 1/2-inch square. Using a straight or fluted pastry wheel, cut the dough into 2 1/2-inch squares. (Keep remaining dough chilled. If dough becomes too soft, return to refrigerator for a few minutes).
- Place squares 2 inches apart on the prepared cookie sheets. Using the pastry wheel, cut 1-inch slits from the corners toward the center of each square. Snip any large pieces of fruit in the preserves. Spoon 1 level teaspoon of cherry preserves into the center of each square. Fold every other tip (one from each corner) into the center of each square to form a pinwheel shape. Press dough gently in the center to seal tips to filling.
- Bake for 8 to 9 minutes or until edges just begin to brown. Cool on cookie sheet for 3 minutes. Transfer cookies to a wire rack and let cool.
- In a small bowl stir together the powdered sugar, almond extract, and enough milk to make icing drizzling consistency. Drizzle over cooled cookies. Let stand until set.
From the Test Kitchen
Layer cookies between sheets of waxed paper in an airtight container; cover. Store at room temperature for up to 3 days or freeze for up to 3 months.
Nutrition Facts (Cherry Pinwheels)
- Per serving:
- 118 kcal cal.,
- 3 g fat
- (2 g sat. fat,
- 0 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 1 g monounsatured fat),
- 13 mg chol.,
- 52 mg sodium,
- 21 g carb.,
- 0 g fiber,
- 12 g sugar,
- 1 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet