- In a blender or food processor combine cherries and orange peel. Blend or process until smooth. Strain through a fine-mesh sieve; discard pulp and peel. Measure 1 1/2 cups of the cherry liquid; set aside.
- In a medium bowl combine sugar and egg yolks; beat with an electric mixer on high speed for 4 minutes. Set aside.
- In a large saucepan combine milk, coconut milk, cream, and salt; heat just until simmering. Remove from heat; let stand for 2 minutes.
- Slowly stir 1 cup of the hot milk mixture into the egg yolk mixture. Return all of the egg yolk mixture to the saucepan. Heat and stir for 5 to 6 minutes or until mixture thickens and coats the back of a metal spoon (185 degrees F on an instant-read thermometer). Be careful not to let mixture boil. Place saucepan in a bowl of ice water; stir constantly for 2 to 3 minutes or until cool.
- In a large bowl combine cherry liquid* and egg yolk-milk mixture, stirring until well mixed. Cover surface of the mixture with plastic wrap. Chill about 4 hours or until well chilled.
- Freeze mixture in a 2- to 4-quart ice cream freezer according to the manufacturers directions. If desired, ripen gelato mixture for 4 hours before serving.**
From the Test Kitchen
If desired, stir in red food coloring to desired color.
Ripening homemade gelato improves the texture and helps to keep it from melting too quickly during eating. To ripen in a traditional-style ice cream freezer, after churning, remove the lid and dasher and cover the top of the freezer can with waxed paper or foil. Plug the hole in the lid with a small piece of cloth; replace the lid. Pack the outer freezer bucket with enough ice and rock salt to cover the top of the freezer can (use 1 cup salt for each 4 cups ice). Ripen about 4 hours. When using an ice cream freezer with an insulated freezer bowl, transfer the ice cream to a covered freezer container and ripen by freezing in your regular freezer about 4 hours (or check the manufacturers recommendations).
Nutrition Facts(Cherry Gelato)
- Per serving:
- 167 kcal cal.,
- 10 g fat
- (6 g sat. fat,
- 88 mg chol.,
- 103 mg sodium,
- 18 g carb.,
- 17 g sugar,
- 3 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet