Cherry Berry Pie
This sweet-tart pie has a juicy filling. If you use frozen cherries, the filling will be even jucier.
- Makes: 8 servings
- Prep: 30 mins
- Stand: 15 mins
- Bake: 55 mins to 1 hr 5 mins 375°F
Cherry Berry Pie
- In a large bowl the sugars, cornstarch, and orange peel. Add cherries and blackberries; toss to coat. Let stand 15 minutes or until syrup forms, stirring occasionally.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Prepare Pastry for Double-Crust Pie. On a lightly floured surface, slightly flatten one portion of dough. Roll dough from center to edge into a 12-inch circle. Wrap pastry circle around rolling pin; unroll into a 9-inch pie plate, easing the dough without stretching it. Trim pastry 1/2 inch beyond pie plate. Pour fruit mixture into pastry-lined pie plate.
- For lattice top, roll the remaining dough into a 12-inch circle. Cut pastry into strips 3/4- to 1 1/2-inch wide. Weave strips over fruit mixture in a lattice pattern. Press ends of strips into bottom pastry rim. Fold pastry over ends of strips; crimp edge as desired. Brush pastry with milk; sprinkle with additional granulated sugar.
- Place pie on a baking sheet; cover edges with foil. Bake for 30 minutes. Remove foil; bake for 25 to 35 minutes more or until filling is bubbly 2 inches from edge and pastry is golden. Cool on a wire rack. If desired, serve with Sweetened Whipped Cream
From the Test Kitchen
If using frozen cherries, let mixture in Step 1 stand 45 minutes or until cherries are partially thawed. In Step 4, bake 45 minutes before removing foil.
Adorn your pie with a sweet cherry touch. Stamp out circles for cherries using small biscuit cutters. Make a leaf with a small teardrop pastry cutter, or use a knife to cut the shape freehand.
Pastry for Double-Crust Pie
- In a large bowl stir together flour and salt. Using a pastry blender, cut in shortening and butter until pieces are pea-size. Sprinkle 1 Tbsp. ice water over part of the flour mixture; toss gently with a fork. Push moistened dough to side of bowl. Repeat with additional ice water, 1 Tbsp. at a time, until all of the flour mixture is moistened. Gather mixture into a ball, kneading gently until it holds together. Divide dough in half. Shape each portion into a ball.
Sweetened Whipped Cream
- In a chilled mixing bowl combine whipping cream, sugar, and vanilla. Beat with an electric mixer on medium speed until soft peaks form.
Nutrition Facts (Cherry Berry Pie)
- Per serving:
- 512 kcal cal.,
- 19 g fat
- (7 g sat. fat,
- 4 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 7 g monounsatured fat),
- 15 mg chol.,
- 351 mg sodium,
- 81 g carb.,
- 4 g fiber,
- 42 g sugar,
- 5 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet