- Makes: 16 servings
- Yields: 1 Danish
- Prep: 40 mins
- Rise: 2 hrs
- Bake: 25 mins 350°
cup warm water (105 degrees F to 115 degrees F)
package active dry yeast
cup fat-free milk
cup butter or margarine, melted
12 ounce jar cherry preserves
cup sliced almonds, lightly toasted
recipe Almond Glaze
- In a small bowl combine the 1/4 cup warm water, the yeast, and the 1/2 teaspoon sugar, stirring to dissolve yeast. Let stand about 5 minutes or until bubbly.
- In a large bowl combine 1 1/2 cups of the flour, the 1/2 cup sugar, and the salt. Gradually add the yeast mixture, the 1/2 cup milk, the melted butter, one of the eggs, and the vanilla, beating with an electric mixer on medium speed until combined. Beat for 2 minutes more, scraping sides of bowl constantly.
- Using a wooden spoon, stir in as much of the remaining flour as you can with a spoon. Turn out dough onto a lightly floured surface. Knead in enough of the remaining flour to make a moderately soft dough that is smooth and elastic (3 to 5 minutes total). Shape dough into a ball.
- Place dough in a large greased bowl, turning once to grease surface of dough. Cover; let rise in a warm place until nearly double in size (about 1 1/2 hours).
- Line an extra-large baking sheet with parchment paper. Place dough in center and sprinkle top lightly with flour. Using a lightly floured rolling pin, roll dough into a 15x10-inch rectangle. Spread cherry preserves lengthwise down center third of the dough rectangle, leaving a 1-inch border at the top and bottom. Set aside 1 tablespoon of the almonds for topping; sprinkle the remaining almonds over preserves.
- Using a sharp knife, make diagonal cuts, 1 inch apart, along both long sides of the dough rectangle, cutting from each edge almost to the preserves. Starting with a strip at the top of one side of the rectangle, fold strip over preserves; fold a strip from the other side over preserves. Repeat with the remaining strips, alternating sides. Pinch ends under to seal.
- In a small bowl beat together the remaining egg and the 1 tablespoon water; brush over dough. Sprinkle with the 1 1/2 teaspoons sugar. Let rise in a warm place until nearly double in size (about 30 minutes).
- Meanwhile, preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Bake about 25 minutes or until golden brown. Carefully transfer bread to a wire rack; cool completely.
- Drizzle Almond Glaze over top of cooled bread. Sprinkle with the reserved 1 tablespoon almonds.
From the Test Kitchen
Prepare as directed through Step 8. Cover tightly with freezer wrap and freeze for up to 1 month. Thaw overnight in the refrigerator. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Bake about 10 minutes or just until warmed through. Continue as directed in Step 9.
cup powdered sugar
teaspoon almond extract
- Stir together powdered sugar, 1 teaspoon milk, and almond extract in a small bowl. Stir in enough additional milk, 1/2 teaspoon at a time, to make glaze of drizzling consistency.
Nutrition Facts (Cherry-Almond Danish)
- Per serving:
- 256 kcal cal.,
- 5 g fat
- (2 g sat. fat,
- 1 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 2 g monounsatured fat),
- 31 mg chol.,
- 118 mg sodium,
- 47 g carb.,
- 1 g fiber,
- 21 g sugar,
- 5 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Related CategoriesBread Recipes, Breakfast and Brunch Bread and Pastry, Breakfast and Brunch Bread and Pastry Recipes, Breakfast and Brunch Recipes, Cherry Cheesecakes, Cherry Pies, Chocolate Desserts, Christmas Recipes, Fruit Salad Recipes, Halloween Recipes, Healthy Breakfast Recipes, Thanksgiving Recipes