Cheesy Pesto-Meatball Manicotti
cups shredded mozzarella cheese (8 ounces)
cup finely chopped onion (1 medium)
cup finely chopped green sweet pepper (1 small)
egg, lightly beaten
tablespoons basil or dried tomato pesto
pound lean ground beef or ground turkey
cups Marinara Sauce or bottled tomato pasta sauce
Fresh basil (optional)
- Cook manicotti according to package directions, except cook for 2 minutes less than the package directs; drain. Place manicotti in a single layer on a sheet of greased foil.
- Meanwhile, preheat oven to 350 degrees F. In a large bowl combine 1 cup of the mozzarella cheese, 1/2 cup of the Parmesan cheese, the onion, sweet pepper, egg, and pesto. Add ground meat; mix well. Divide mixture into 12 portions. Shape each portion into a 5-inch log. Push a log into each manicotti; arrange filled manicotti in an ungreased 3-quart rectangular baking dish. Pour Marinara Sauce over filled manicotti.
- Bake, covered, for 45 minutes. Sprinkle with the remaining 1 cup mozzarella cheese and the remaining 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese. Bake, uncovered, about 10 minutes more or until cheeses are melted. If desired, garnish with fresh basil.
tablespoons olive oil
cup finely chopped onion (1 large)
cup finely chopped carrot (1 medium)
cup finely chopped celery (1 stalk)
cloves garlic, minced
15 ounce cans tomato sauce
tablespoon tomato paste
cup dry red wine or cranberry juice
tablespoons snipped fresh flat-leaf Italian parsley
tablespoons snipped fresh basil
tablespoon dried Italian seasoning
teaspoon crushed red pepper (optional)
teaspoon ground black pepper
- In a large saucepan heat oil over medium heat. Add onion, carrot, celery, and garlic. Cook, uncovered, for 10 minutes or until vegetables are very tender but not brown, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in tomato sauce, tomato paste, water, wine, parsley, basil, Italian seasoning, sugar, crushed red pepper (if desired), bay leaves, salt, and black pepper.
- Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, uncovered, about 45 minutes or until sauce reaches desired consistency, stirring occasionally. Remove and discard bay leaves.
Nutrition Facts(Cheesy Pesto-Meatball Manicotti)
- Per serving:
- 625 kcal cal.,
- 29 g fat
- (12 g sat. fat,
- 1 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 10 g monounsatured fat),
- 116 mg chol.,
- 1650 mg sodium,
- 45 g carb.,
- 5 g fiber,
- 12 g sugar,
- 41 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet