Cheesy Pesto-Meatball Manicotti
- Cook manicotti according to package directions, except cook for 2 minutes less than the package directs; drain. Place manicotti in a single layer on a sheet of greased foil.
- Meanwhile, preheat oven to 350 degrees F. In a large bowl combine 1 cup of the mozzarella cheese, 1/2 cup of the Parmesan cheese, the onion, sweet pepper, egg, and pesto. Add ground meat; mix well. Divide mixture into 12 portions. Shape each portion into a 5-inch log. Push a log into each manicotti; arrange filled manicotti in an ungreased 3-quart rectangular baking dish. Pour Marinara Sauce over filled manicotti.
- Bake, covered, for 45 minutes. Sprinkle with the remaining 1 cup mozzarella cheese and the remaining 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese. Bake, uncovered, about 10 minutes more or until cheeses are melted. If desired, garnish with fresh basil.
- In a large saucepan heat oil over medium heat. Add onion, carrot, celery, and garlic. Cook, uncovered, for 10 minutes or until vegetables are very tender but not brown, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in tomato sauce, tomato paste, water, wine, parsley, basil, Italian seasoning, sugar, crushed red pepper (if desired), bay leaves, salt, and black pepper.
- Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, uncovered, about 45 minutes or until sauce reaches desired consistency, stirring occasionally. Remove and discard bay leaves.
Nutrition Facts (Cheesy Pesto-Meatball Manicotti)
- Per serving:
- 625 kcal ,
- 29 g fat
- (12 g sat. fat ,
- 1 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 10 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 116 mg chol. ,
- 1650 mg sodium ,
- 45 g carb. ,
- 5 g fiber ,
- 12 g sugar ,
- 41 g pro.
Terri Bowlby-Chiasson 1366 Days Ago
This was so delicious! Am making it again today on a snow day. I didn't have the manicotti pasta, so I substituted lasagna pasta, cut them the size of an unrolled manicotti shell. I formed the meat mixture into short logs, rolled the lasagna pasta around and secure with a good sized wooden toothpick. Arranged them two by two in the pan, poured the sauce on top, topped with mozzarella and baked! Awesome!