Cheesy Mashed Potatoes with Gouda and Crispy Pancetta
pound red-skin potatoes, cut into 1 1/2-inch pieces
pound russet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1 1/2-inch pieces
cup 1/4-inch cubes pancetta (about 5 ounces)
cup half-and-half, light cream, or whipping cream
cups finely shredded Gouda cheese (8 ounces)
Freshly ground black pepper
- In a 4- to 5-quart Dutch oven cook potatoes, covered, in enough boiling lightly salted water to cover for 20 to 25 minutes or until tender; drain. Return potatoes to Dutch oven.
- Meanwhile, thinly slice green onions, keeping the white portions separate from the green tops. Set green tops aside. In a medium skillet cook white portions of onions and pancetta over medium-high heat about 8 minutes or until pancetta is crisp, stirring occasionally. Drain off fat.
- Add half-and-half to cooked potatoes. Mash with a potato masher or an electric mixer on low speed until nearly smooth. Stir in 1 1/2 cups of the cheese and the pancetta mixture. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Transfer mashed potatoes to a serving dish. Sprinkle with green tops of onions and the remaining 1/2 cup cheese.
From the Test Kitchen
Vegetarian? Use an equal amount of chopped artichoke hearts to replace the pancetta. Not a fan of Gouda? Replace it with smoked mozzarella. No green onions? Substitute fresh chives or Italian (flat-leaf) parsley.
Nutrition Facts(Cheesy Mashed Potatoes with Gouda and Crispy Pancetta)
- Per serving:
- 272 kcal cal.,
- 16 g fat
- (9 g sat. fat,
- 0 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 3 g monounsatured fat),
- 47 mg chol.,
- 502 mg sodium,
- 21 g carb.,
- 2 g fiber,
- 2 g sugar,
- 13 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet