Cheesy Green Beans and Fennel
- In a large bowl stir together 2 tablespoons melted butter, fennel seeds, lemon peel, pepper, and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Set aside.
- Cut off and discard fennel stalks. Remove any wilted outer layers; cut a thin slice from base of each bulb. Cut bulbs into quarters; remove cores. Cut fennel lengthwise into 1/4-inch strips.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. In a 4-quart Dutch oven combine the water and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Bring to boiling. Add green beans. Return to boiling; reduce heat. Cook, covered, for 4 minutes. Add fennel. Cook , covered, for 4 to 6 minutes more or until vegetables are crisp-tender; drain. Add fennel and beans to butter mixture; toss gently to coat.
- Transfer bean mixture to a 3-quart rectangular baking dish. Sprinkle with Gruyere cheese, goat cheese, and bread crumbs. Drizzle with 1/4 cup melted butter. Bake for 10 to 12 minutes or until crumbs are light brown and crisp. Serve warm.
From the Test Kitchen
Prefer it gluten-free? Substitute gluten-free bread crumbs for regular. Want it faster? Skip the baking and serve the simplified dish after completing Step 3. No Gruyere? Double the goat cheese and proceed with the recipe as directed.
Nutrition Facts (Cheesy Green Beans and Fennel )
- Per serving:
- 123 kcal cal.,
- 8 g fat
- (5 g sat. fat,
- 0 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 2 g monounsatured fat),
- 20 mg chol.,
- 322 mg sodium,
- 10 g carb.,
- 3 g fiber,
- 2 g sugar,
- 5 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet