- Makes: 6 servings
- Serving Size: 1 cup
- Prep: 30 mins
- Bake: 20 mins to 25 mins 375°
- Cook: 8 mins
Cheesy Butternut Squash Cavatappi Bake
Nonstick cooking spray
cups peeled and cubed butternut squash
ounces dried cavatappi or other elbow macaroni
ounces cremini or button mushrooms, sliced
green onions, thinly sliced
cup fat-free milk
teaspoon ground black pepper
ounces fontina cheese, shredded (1 1/2 cups)
slices reduced-sodium bacon, cooked and crumbled (optional)
Thinly sliced green onions (optional)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Lightly coat a 2-quart rectangular baking dish with nonstick cooking spray; set aside.
- In a medium microwave-safe bowl combine squash and 2 Tbsp. water; cover with vented plastic wrap. Microwave on high for 4 minutes; stir. Microwave, covered, about 4 minutes more or until squash is tender. Carefully remove plastic wrap. Mash squash; set aside.
- Meanwhile, cook pasta according to package directions; drain. In a medium saucepan heat butter over medium heat. Add mushrooms and green onions. Cook until tender, about 5 minutes. Sprinkle flour over mushroom mixture. Cook and stir for 1 minute. Add milk, salt, and pepper. Cook and stir over medium heat until thickened and bubbly. Remove from heat; stir in squash. Add pasta. Gently fold to combine.
- Transfer half of the pasta mixture to the prepared baking dish. Sprinkle with half of the cheese. Add remaining pasta and cheese. Top with bacon, if desired. Bake, uncovered, for 20 to 25 minutes or until heated through and cheese is melted. Top with additional green onions, If desired.
Nutrition Facts (Cheesy Butternut Squash Cavatappi Bake)
- Per serving:
- 334 kcal cal.,
- 12 g fat
- (7 g sat. fat,
- 1 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 3 g monounsatured fat),
- 39 mg chol.,
- 366 mg sodium,
- 42 g carb.,
- 3 g fiber,
- 6 g sugar,
- 16 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet