Cheesy Bean-and-Rice Bites with Pumpkin-Sage Sauce
cup canned no-salt-added cannellini beans (white kidney beans), rinsed and drained
cups hot cooked brown rice
egg, lightly beaten
tablespoons snipped fresh sage
teaspoon ground black pepper
cup panko (Japanese-style bread crumbs)
cup finely chopped walnuts, toasted
Nonstick cooking spray
cup chopped onion (1 medium)
cloves garlic, minced
15 ounce can pumpkin
cups low-sodium vegetable broth
Coarsely chopped walnuts, toasted (optional)
Fresh sage leaves (optional)
- In a large bowl coarsely mash beans. Stir in rice and cheese. Stir in egg, 1 tablespoon of the snipped sage, and the pepper. Cover and chill for 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F. Line a 15x10x1-inch baking pan with foil; set aside. In a shallow dish combine panko and 1/4 cup walnuts. Using moist hands, shape rice mixture into 18 balls. Gently roll rice balls in panko mixture to coat.
- Arrange rice balls in the prepared baking pan. Coat balls with cooking spray. Bake about 15 minutes or until heated through and light brown.
- Meanwhile, for sauce, coat a medium saucepan with cooking spray; heat saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and garlic; cook for 3 to 5 minutes or until onion is tender, stirring occasionally. Stir in pumpkin, broth, salt, and the remaining 1 tablespoon snipped sage. Cook and stir over medium heat just until bubbly.
- To serve, divide sauce among shallow serving bowls. Top each serving with three rice balls. If desired, sprinkle with additional walnuts and garnish with sage leaves.
Nutrition Facts(Cheesy Bean-and-Rice Bites with Pumpkin-Sage Sauce)
- Per serving:
- 279 kcal cal.,
- 10 g fat
- (4 g sat. fat,
- 3 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 2 g monounsatured fat),
- 43 mg chol.,
- 558 mg sodium,
- 35 g carb.,
- 6 g fiber,
- 4 g sugar,
- 14 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet