Cherry Cheesecake Kuchen
- Grease a 9-inch springform pan; set aside. In a large bowl combine 1-1/4 cups of the flour and the yeast; set aside.
- In a small saucepan, heat and stir milk, 1/2 cup sugar, butter, and salt just until warm (120 degrees F to 130 degrees F) and butter almost melts. Add milk mixture and the 2 eggs to flour mixture. Beat with an electric mixer on low to medium speed for 30 seconds, scraping sides of bowl constantly. Beat on high speed for 3 minutes. Beat in as much of the remaining 1 cup flour as you can with the mixer. Stir in any remaining flour.
- Transfer dough to prepared pan; spread evenly (dough will be sticky). Cover and let rise in a warm place until double in size (about 1 hour).
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. In a medium bowl, combine cream cheese, sour cream, 1/4 cup sugar, 1 tablespoon flour, and vanilla. Beat with an electric mixer on medium speed until smooth. Stir in 1 egg and lemon peel; set aside. In another bowl, stir together the pie filling and almond extract. Spoon cherry mixture over dough in pan. Spoon cream cheese mixture over cherry mixture, spreading evenly.
- Bake about 45 minutes or until center appears set when gently shaken. Cool in pan on a wire rack for 30 minutes. Using a small sharp knife, loosen crust from sides of pan; cool for 1 hour. Cover and chill at least 4 hours before serving. Remove sides of pan just before serving. If desired, spoon additional cherry pie filling on top and garnish with chopped white chocolate. Makes 12 to 16 servings.