- make this recipe
- user reviews ()
- 1 clove garlic, halved
- 1 cup light beer
- 1/2 teaspoon instant chicken bouillon granules
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons cold water
- 1 cup shredded American cheese (4 ounces)
- 2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese (8 ounces)
- Assorted items for dipping (French or Italian bread cubes, breadsticks, broccoli florets, red sweet pepper pieces, soft pretzels, and/or precooked baby sunburst squash)
1. Rub the bottom and sides of a heavy metal fondue pot* with the garlic halves; discard garlic. In fondue pot, combine the beer and bouillon. Bring to boiling over medium-high heat.
2. In a small bowl, stir together cornstarch and the water. Add cornstarch mixture in a steady stream to beer mixture while stirring with a heat-resistant rubber spatula or wooden spoon. Cook and stir until thickened and bubbly. Reduce heat to medium-low. Gradually stir in shredded cheeses, stirring after each addition until cheese melts.
3. Place fondue pot over fondue burner. Serve immediately with desired items for dipping. Spear item with a fondue fork or wooden skewer; dip into cheese mixture, swirling to coat. (Fondue will thicken as it holds over the burner.) Makes 6 to 8 servings.
- If you want to use a ceramic fondue pot, prepare fondue in a medium saucepan as above through Step 2. Transfer cheese mixture to ceramic pot and continue as directed in step 3.
- Servings Per Recipe 6,
- cal. (kcal) 258,
- Fat, total (g) 18,
- chol. (mg) 57,
- sat. fat (g) 12,
- carb. (g) 6,
- pro. (g) 14,
- sodium (mg) 580,
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet