Cheese Fondue Casserole
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Coat a 3-quart casserole with cooking spray; set aside. Cook macaroni according to package directions; drain. Return macaroni to pan; set aside.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl combine shredded Swiss cheese, Gruyere cheese, flour, and garlic. Toss to combine. In a large saucepan heat broth and wine over medium heat just until bubbles form around edge of pan. Add cheese mixture, 1 cup at a time, whisking constantly after each addition until cheese melts. (Mixture may not be completely smooth at this point.) Do not boil. Remove from heat. Season to taste with pepper.
- Pour cheese mixture over macaroni; stir gently to combine. Fold in cubed Swiss cheese. Spoon pasta mixture into prepared casserole. Sprinkle crushed crackers evenly over top; dot with butter.
- Bake, uncovered, for 35 to 40 minutes or until bubbly and topping is golden.
From the Test Kitchen
For best results, shred the cheese just before using. Purchased preshredded cheese does not melt as well.
Prepare as directed, except substitute 1 1/2 teaspoons seafood seasoning for the salt and pepper. Stir in 12 ounces fresh or frozen peeled, deveined uncooked small shrimp, halved lengthwise (thawed, if frozen), and 1/2 cup sliced green onions (4) with the cubed Swiss cheese.
Nutrition facts per serving: 607 cal., 31 g total fat, (18 g sat. fat), 145 mg chol., 596 mg sodium, 41 g carb., 2 g dietary fiber, 37 g protein
Nutrition Facts(Cheese Fondue Casserole)
- Per serving:
- 568 kcal cal.,
- 30 g fat
- (18 g sat. fat,
- 2 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 8 g monounsatured fat),
- 93 mg chol.,
- 603 mg sodium,
- 41 g carb.,
- 2 g fiber,
- 2 g sugar,
- 30 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet