Cheddar-Crusted Apple-Pomegranate Galette
- For pastry, in a medium bowl stir together flour and salt. Using a pastry blender, cut in butter until pieces are pea size. Stir in cheese. Sprinkle 1 tablespoon of the ice water over part of the flour mixture; toss gently with a fork. Push moistened pastry to one side of bowl. Repeat moistening flour mixture, using 1 tablespoon of the ice water at a time, until all of the flour mixture is moistened. Gather flour mixture into a ball, kneading gently until it holds together. Wrap in plastic wrap and flatten into a disk. Chill for 1 hour.
- Place pastry between two sheets of parchment paper and roll into a 14-inch circle. Remove top sheet of paper. Slide paper with pastry circle onto a large baking sheet. Chill for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, preheat oven to 425 degrees F. In a large bowl combine pomegranate syrup and sugar. Add apples; toss gently to coat. Spread preserves over pastry, leaving the outer 1-1/2 inches uncovered. Arrange apple slices in concentric circles on top of preserves, overlapping slices slightly and reserving syrup in bowl. Fold uncovered pastry up over filling, pleating as necessary and using paper to lift pastry border. Drizzle filling with 2 tablespoons of the reserved syrup.
- Bake for 20 minutes. Reduce oven temperature to 375 degrees F. Bake for 10 to 15 minutes more or until pastry is golden. Sprinkle filling with pomegranate seeds. Cool on a wire rack about 20 minutes. Before serving, heat remaining reserved syrup. Cut warm galette into wedges and serve with syrup.
From the Test Kitchen
Pomegranate syrup is bottled syrup used to flavor beverages, generally found in the coffee aisle of your grocery store. Or look for it online at torani.com or monin.com. If you can't find this product, you may simmer 1 cup of pomegranate juice until reduced by half.
Nutrition Facts (Cheddar-Crusted Apple-Pomegranate Galette)
- Per serving:
- 410 kcal cal.,
- 19 g fat
- (12 g sat. fat,
- 1 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 5 g monounsatured fat),
- 53 mg chol.,
- 373 mg sodium,
- 53 g carb.,
- 3 g fiber,
- 28 g sugar,
- 6 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet