Celery Root, Potato, and Pear Mash
- In a large saucepan cook celery root, covered, in boiling lightly salted water for 5 minutes. Add potatoes. Cook, covered, for 20 to 25 minutes more or until tender; drain. Return potato mixture to saucepan.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan combine pears, whipping cream, and butter. Bring to boiling.* Remove from heat.
- Mash potato mixture with a potato masher or an electric mixer on low speed until smooth. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Mash pear mixture with a potato masher or a fork until smooth. Stir pear mixture into potato mixture just until combined. Sprinkle with parsley.
From the Test Kitchen
Like tangy flavors? Replace the whipping cream with buttermilk. Out of celery root? Use parsnips for an earthy flavor. Prefer a sweeter mash? Substitute apples for celery root and add to potatoes during the last 10 minutes of cooking.
If pears are firm, simmer in whipping cream for 5 to 10 minutes or until tender enough to mash.
Nutrition Facts (Celery Root, Potato, and Pear Mash)
- Per serving:
- 229 kcal ,
- 15 g fat
- (10 g sat. fat ,
- 1 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 4 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 48 mg chol. ,
- 311 mg sodium ,
- 23 g carb. ,
- 3 g fiber ,
- 7 g sugar ,
- 2 g pro.