Loaded Cauliflower Casserole
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Lightly grease a 2-quart square baking dish; set aside. In a Dutch oven cook cauliflower in boiling lightly salted water about 5 minutes or just until tender; drain. Transfer to a bowl of ice water to stop cooking. Drain again; set aside.
- For sauce, in a medium saucepan melt butter over medium-low heat. Stir in flour. Cook and stir for 1 minute. Stir in half-and-half and 1/2 cup milk. Cook and stir over medium heat until thickened and bubbly. Cook and stir for 1 minute more. Remove from heat. Stir in cheese, the 1 tablespoon fresh thyme, salt, and pepper.
- Spread about 1 cup of the sauce in the bottom of the prepared baking dish. Add cauliflower. Top with the remaining sauce.
- Sprinkle gratin with bread crumbs; drizzle with oil. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until light brown and bubbly. If desired, sprinkle with additional fresh thyme.
From the Test Kitchen
Prepare as directed through Step 3. Cover and chill for 2 to 24 hours. To serve, let gratin stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Continue as directed in Step 4.
Nutrition Facts (Loaded Cauliflower Casserole)
- Per serving:
- 167 kcal cal.,
- 13 g fat
- (7 g sat. fat,
- 1 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 5 g monounsatured fat),
- 34 mg chol.,
- 234 mg sodium,
- 8 g carb.,
- 1 g fiber,
- 2 g sugar,
- 5 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet