- Generously butter an 8- to 9-inch cast-iron skillet or four individual 10- to 12-ounce cast-iron skillets or casseroles (such as 5-inch skillets or 4 1/2x3-inch casseroles) with the 1 tablespoon butter; set aside.
- In a medium saucepan combine the 1/2 cup butter and the unsweetened chocolate; cook and stir over low heat until melted and smooth. Remove from heat. Stir in sugar. Add eggs, one at a time, beating with a wooden spoon after each addition just until combined. Stir in vanilla. In a small bowl stir together the flour and baking soda. Add flour mixture to chocolate mixture; stir just until combined. Spread into the prepared skillet(s).
- For a charcoal grill, arrange medium-hot coals around the edges of the grill, leaving center of grill with no coals. Test for medium heat above the center of the grill. Place skillet(s) in center of grill rack (not over the coals). Cover and grill just until set in center and edges are firm and pull away from sides. Allow 25 to 30 minutes for large skillet or about 20 minutes for small skillets. Meanwhile, brush cut sides of bananas with the melted butter. For the last 5 minutes of grilling, add bananas to grill rack directly over coals; grill until lightly browned. (For a gas grill, preheat grill. Adjust for indirect cooking. Place skillet(s) on unheated side of grill and later place bananas over heat. Grill as above.) Remove skillet(s) from grill; let stand for 10 minutes.
- Serve warm topped with grilled banana pieces, scoops of ice cream, and, if desired, hot fudge sauce.
From the Test Kitchen
Prepare as directed through Step 2. Meanwhile, preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Bake brownies just until set in center and edges are firm and pull away from sides. Allow 15 to 20 minutes for large skillet or about 20 minutes for small skillets. Peel bananas; halve lengthwise. Cut each half crosswise. In another large skillet cook bananas in 1 tablespoon hot butter over medium-high heat about 5 minutes or until golden brown. Serve as directed in Step 4.
Nutrition Facts(Cast-Iron Brownies)
- Per serving:
- 873 kcal cal.,
- 51 g fat
- (30 g sat. fat,
- 2 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 12 g monounsatured fat),
- 197 mg chol.,
- 369 mg sodium,
- 106 g carb.,
- 7 g fiber,
- 75 g sugar,
- 11 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet