Chile Rellenos Casserole
- Quarter the peppers and remove seeds, stems, and veins. Immerse peppers into boiling water for 3 minutes; drain. Invert peppers on paper towels to drain well. Place the peppers in a well-greased 2-quart square baking dish. Top with 1 cup of the cheese.
- In a medium bowl combine eggs and milk. Add flour, baking powder, cayenne pepper, and salt. Beat until smooth with a rotary beater. Pour egg mixture over peppers and cheese.
- Bake, uncovered, in a 450 degree F oven about 15 minutes or until a knife inserted into the egg mixture comes out clean. Sprinkle with the remaining 1/2 cup cheese. Let stand about 5 minutes or until cheese melts. If desired, serve with picante sauce and sour cream. Makes 4 servings.
From the Test Kitchen
Low-Fat Chile Rellenos Casserole:
Prepare as above, except use reduced-fat Monterey Jack cheese with jalapeno peppers (or reduced-fat plain Monterey jack cheese plus 2 teaspoons chopped jalapeno peppers) or reduced-fat Mexican-blend cheese. Substitute 3/4 cup refrigerated or frozen egg product (thawed) for the eggs and fat-free milk for the milk.
Nutrition Facts per serving: 207 calories, 9 g total fat (6 g sat. fat), 30 mg chol., 569 mg sodium, 15 g carbo., 1 g dietary fiber, 18 g pro.
Daily Values: 25% vit. A, 213% vit. C, 38% calcium, 15% iron
Exchanges: .5 starch, 1 vegetable, 2 Lean Meat
Nutrition Facts (Chile Rellenos Casserole)
- Per serving:
- 286 kcal ,
- 18 g fat
- (10 g sat. fat ,
- 1 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 2 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 206 mg chol. ,
- 466 mg sodium ,
- 14 g carb. ,
- 1 g sugar ,
- 18 g pro.