- make this recipe
- user reviews ()
- Nonstick cooking spray
- 8 stripsbacon, crisp-cooked, drained, and chopped
- 1 9 ounce package frozen cut asparagus, thawed and well-drained
- 3/4 cup bottled roasted red sweet peppers, drained and chopped
- 12 slicesdry white bread, cut into 1/2-inch cubes (about 8 cups)
- 3 cups shredded Swiss cheese (12 ounces)
- 8 eggs
- 3 cups milk
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dry mustard or 3 tablespoons Dijon-style mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1. Lightly coat a 3-quart rectangular baking dish with cooking spray; set aside. In a medium bowl combine bacon, asparagus, and red peppers.
2. Place half of the bread cubes in the prepared baking dish. Top with half of the bacon mixture and half of the cheese. Repeat layers with remaining bread cubes, bacon mixture, and cheese.
3. In a large bowl, beat eggs with a rotary beater or whisk. Beat or whisk in milk, mustard, salt, and cayenne pepper. Carefully pour egg mixture evenly over bread mixture in dish. Using the back of a spoon, gently press down on layers to moisten all of the bread. Cover dish with plastic wrap and chill at least 2 to 24 hours.
4. Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Bake, uncovered, for 50 to 60 minutes or until puffed, golden, and set. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.
- Prepare as directed, except replace bacon with 1 pound uncooked bulk pork or Italian sausage and replace asparagus with 2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms. Cook sausage and mushrooms in a large skillet until sausage is brown; drain off fat. Stir red peppers into mixture in skillet. Use 3 cups shredded American or cheddar cheese in place of the Swiss cheese.
- Servings Per Recipe 12,
- cal. (kcal) 365,
- Fat, total (g) 22,
- chol. (mg) 197,
- sat. fat (g) 10,
- carb. (g) 19,
- fiber (g) 1,
- pro. (g) 21,
- vit. A (IU) 583,
- vit. C (mg) 26,
- sodium (mg) 965,
- calcium (mg) 293,
- iron (mg) 2,
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet