When you're looking for a make-ahead breakfast recipe, you can't beat a strata--a casserole recipe that can usually be made up to 24 hours in advance. Here, fresh vegetables and bacon combine with luscious Swiss cheese for a rich and easy egg breakfast your family will love.
- Lightly coat a 3-quart rectangular baking dish with cooking spray; set aside. In a medium bowl combine bacon, asparagus, and red peppers.
- Place half of the bread cubes in the prepared baking dish. Top with half of the bacon mixture and half of the cheese. Repeat layers with remaining bread cubes, bacon mixture, and cheese.
- In a large bowl, beat eggs with a rotary beater or whisk. Beat or whisk in milk, mustard, salt, and cayenne pepper. Carefully pour egg mixture evenly over bread mixture in dish. Using the back of a spoon, gently press down on layers to moisten all of the bread. Cover dish with plastic wrap and chill at least 2 to 24 hours.
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Bake, uncovered, for 50 to 60 minutes or until puffed, golden, and set. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.
From the Test Kitchen
Pork, Pepper & Mushroom Strata:
Prepare as directed, except replace bacon with 1 pound uncooked bulk pork or Italian sausage and replace asparagus with 2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms. Cook sausage and mushrooms in a large skillet until sausage is brown; drain off fat. Stir red peppers into mixture in skillet. Use 3 cups shredded American or cheddar cheese in place of the Swiss cheese.
Nutrition Facts (Bacon-Asparagus Strata)
- Per serving:
- 365 kcal cal.,
- 22 g fat
- (10 g sat. fat,
- 197 mg chol.,
- 965 mg sodium,
- 19 g carb.,
- 1 g fiber,
- 21 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet