- Makes: 16 servings
- Serving Size: 2 tablespoon
- Prep: 20 mins
- Chill: 1 hr
cup chopped carrots (2 medium)
15 ounce can garbanzo beans (chickpeas), rinsed and drained
cup tahini (sesame seed paste)
tablespoons lemon juice
cloves garlic, quartered
teaspoon ground cumin
tablespoons snipped fresh parsley
Thin bite-size carrot strips and/or thin lemon peel strips (optional)
Assorted dippers (such as toasted whole wheat pita wedges, whole grain crackers, and/or vegetable sticks)
- In a small saucepan, cook chopped carrot, covered, in a small amount of boiling water for 6 to 8 minutes or until tender; drain.
- In a food processor, combine cooked carrot, beans, tahini, lemon juice, garlic, cumin, and salt. Cover and process until smooth. Transfer to a small serving bowl. Stir in parsley.
- Cover and chill for at least 1 hour. If necessary, stir in enough water, 1 tablespoon at a time, to reach dipping consistency. If desired, garnish with carrot and/or lemon peel strips. Serve with assorted dippers.
From the Test Kitchen
Prepare as directed, except cover and store in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
Nutrition Facts (Carrot Hummus)
- Per serving:
- 60 kcal cal.,
- 2 g fat
- (0 g sat. fat,
- 0 mg chol.,
- 124 mg sodium,
- 8 g carb.,
- 2 g fiber,
- 1 g sugar,
- 2 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet