- Allow eggs to stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Meanwhile, grease two 8x1-1/2-inch round cake pans; line pans with waxed paper and grease the paper. Set pans aside.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. In a large bowl stir together flour, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon (if desired), salt, and baking soda; set aside.
- In another bowl combine eggs, carrots, and oil. Add egg mixture to flour mixture. Stir until combined. Pour batter into the prepared pans.
- Bake for 35 to 40 minutes or until a wooden toothpick inserted near centers comes out clean. Cool cake layers in pans on wire racks for 10 minutes. Remove cake layers from pans; cool thoroughly.
- Frost with Cream Cheese Frosting. If desired, sprinkle chopped pecans over frosting. Cover and store cake in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
From the Test Kitchen
The carrots need to be finely shredded or they may sink to the bottom of the pan during baking.
Ginger Carrot Cake:
Prepare as above, except omit the cinnamon; add 2 teaspoons grated fresh ginger or 3/4 teaspoon ground ginger with the eggs, carrots, and oil.
Cream Cheese Frosting
- In a large bowl beat cream cheese, butter and vanilla with an electric mixer on medium speed until light and fluffy. Gradually beat powdered sugar to reach spreading consistency. (This frosts tops and sides of two 8- or 9-inch layers. Halve the recipe to frost a 13x9x2-inch cake.) Cover and store the frosted cake in refrigerator.
Nutrition Facts (Carrot Cake)
- Per serving:
- 711 kcal cal.,
- 30 g fat
- (10 g sat. fat,
- 5 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 13 g monounsatured fat),
- 112 mg chol.,
- 350 mg sodium,
- 108 g carb.,
- 1 g fiber,
- 90 g sugar,
- 6 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet