Carrot Cake Preserves
cups finely shredded carrots (4 medium)
15 ounce can crushed pineapple (juice pack), undrained
cup finely chopped, peeled pear (1 medium)
tablespoons lemon juice
teaspoon ground cinnamon
teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 3/4 ounce package regular powdered fruit pectin or 6 tablespoons classic powdered fruit pectin
cups granulated sugar
cups packed brown sugar
cup flaked coconut or raisins (optional)
- In a 4- to 6-quart heavy pot combine carrots, pineapple, pear, lemon juice, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Bring to boiling, stirring constantly; reduce heat. Simmer, covered, for 20 minutes, stirring frequently. Remove from heat. Sprinkle mixture with pectin; stir until pectin is dissolved.
- Bring carrot mixture to boiling, stirring constantly. Add granulated sugar and brown sugar. Return to a full rolling boil, stirring constantly. Boil hard for 1 minute, stirring constantly. Remove from heat. Quickly skim off foam with a metal spoon. Stir in coconut (if desired) and vanilla.
- Ladle hot jam into hot sterilized half-pint canning jars, leaving a 1/4-inch headspace. Wipe jar rims; adjust lids and screw bands.
- Process filled jars in a boiling-water canner for 10 minutes (start timing when water returns to boiling). Remove jars from canner; cool on wire racks. Makes 7 half-pints.
Nutrition Facts(Carrot Cake Preserves)
- Per serving:
- 48 kcal cal.,
- 0 g fat
- (0 g sat. fat,
- 0 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 0 g monounsatured fat),
- 0 mg chol.,
- 3 mg sodium,
- 13 g carb.,
- 0 g fiber,
- 12 g sugar,
- 0 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet