Caramelized Onion Dip
- In large skillet heat oil over medium heat. Add onions, sugar, and 1/2 tsp. salt; toss. Reduce heat to medium-low. Cook and stir until onions are golden, about 15 to 20 minutes. Remove from heat; cool. Stir in garlic.
- In a medium bowl combine the cooled onion mixture, sour cream, mayonnaise, remaining 1/2 tsp. salt, and pepper. Cover; chill 1 hour to blend flavors.
- Transfer to a serving bowl; stir. Serve dip with Fresh Vegetable Chips.
From the Test Kitchen
Cover; chill up to 24 hours before serving. Let stand 20 minutes at room temperature before serving.
Fresh Vegetable Chips
- Slice radishes, jicama and daikon about 1/4 inch thick. Halve any large slices of jicama. Transfer vegetables to platter.
- In a small bowl combine smoked paprika, salt, sugar, pepper, and lime peel.
- To serve, scatter paprika mixture over vegetables. Serve with Caramelized Onion Dip, if desired. Makes 8 servings.
Nutrition Facts (Caramelized Onion Dip)
- Per serving:
- 150 kcal cal.,
- 12 g fat
- (4 g sat. fat,
- 3 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 5 g monounsatured fat),
- 16 mg chol.,
- 467 mg sodium,
- 10 g carb.,
- 1 g fiber,
- 4 g sugar,
- 2 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet