cups finely crushed shortbread cookies (63 cookies; 1 1/2 10-ounce packages)
cup butter, melted
vanilla caramels, unwrapped
cup whipping cream
cups coarsely chopped cashews or dry roasted peanuts
cups tiny marshmallows
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Line a 13x9x2-inch baking pan with foil, extending foil over the edges of the pan. Lightly grease foil; set pan aside.
- In a large bowl stir together crushed shortbread cookies, butter, and sugar. Press cookie mixture firmly and evenly in prepared pan. Bake about 15 minutes or until crust is golden and dried around edges. Cool in pan on a wire rack.
- Meanwhile, in a medium heavy saucepan heat and stir caramels and cream over medium-low heat until melted and smooth. Stir in cashews. Sprinkle marshmallows evenly over baked shortbread crust. Pour caramel mixture over marshmallows; carefully spread evenly.
- Bake for 8 to 10 minutes or until caramel is set and bubbly around edges. Cool in pan on a wire rack. Use foil to lift uncut bars out of pan. Place on cutting board; cut into bars.
From the Test Kitchen
Layer bars between sheets of waxed paper in an airtight container; cover. Store at room temperature for up to 3 days or freeze for up to 3 months.
Nutrition Facts(Caramel-Cashew Bars)
- Per serving:
- 317 kcal cal.,
- 18 g fat
- (8 g sat. fat,
- 2 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 8 g monounsatured fat),
- 22 mg chol.,
- 245 mg sodium,
- 34 g carb.,
- 1 g fiber,
- 15 g sugar,
- 4 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet