- Makes: 12 servings
- Prep: 15 mins
- Stand: 10 mins
- Bake: 25 mins to 30 mins 350°F
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease the cups of two 6-cup foil muffin pans or line with foil bake cups; set aside. In a large bowl combine the bread cubes and apples.
- In a medium bowl combine eggs, milk, melted butter, sugar, vanilla, apple pie spice, and salt. Stir into bread mixture. Let stand for 10 minutes to allow bread to soak up liquid, stirring occasionally. Spoon bread mixture evenly into prepared muffin cups.
- Place muffin pans on a baking sheet. Bake, uncovered, for 25 to 30 minutes or until puffed and a knife inserted near the centers comes out clean. Transfer muffin pans to a wire rack. Cool in pans on wire rack. Cover and chill for up to 3 days.
- If giving six puddings, include a jar containing half of the caramel sauce. If giving 12 puddings, give a jar containing a whole recipe of caramel sauce.
To dry bread cubes, cut bread into 1/2-inch cubes; spread in a 15x10x1-inch baking pan. Bake in a 300 degrees F oven for 10 to 15 minutes or until dry, stirring twice.
Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Place foil muffin pan on a baking sheet. Bake, uncovered, for 16 to 18 minutes or until heated through. Let stand for 5 minutes before removing from pan.
Spoon caramel sauce into a small saucepan. Cook, stirring occasionally, over medium-low heat until warm.
- In a heavy medium saucepan combine whipping cream, butter, brown sugar, and corn syrup. Bring to boiling over medium-high heat, whisking occasionally. Reduce heat to medium. Boil gently for 3 minutes more. Remove from heat. Stir in vanilla. Let sauce cool for 15 minutes. Cover and chill any leftovers for up to 2 weeks. (If chilled, let stand at room temperature for 1 hour before serving).
- Per serving:
- 336 kcal cal.,
- 19 g fat
- (11 g sat. fat,
- 2 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 5 g monounsatured fat),
- 95 mg chol.,
- 263 mg sodium,
- 39 g carb.,
- 1 g fiber,
- 29 g sugar,
- 5 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet