medium tomatoes, peeled, cored, and cut up (about 2-3/4 pounds)
medium zucchini, quartered lengthwise (about 3 pounds)
large red sweet peppers, cut up
large green sweet peppers, cut up
medium onions, quartered
cup pickling salt
teaspoon dried thyme, crushed
- In a food processor coarsely chop tomatoes, zucchini, sweet peppers, onions, and garlic. Measure 8 cups chopped vegetables. Place in a colander to drain excess liquid. Transfer to large nonmetal container; sprinkle with pickling salt. Cover; refrigerate 16 to 24 hours.
- Transfer vegetable mixture to a colander; rinse and drain well. In an 8- to 10-quart pot combine vinegar, sugar, thyme, and pepper. Bring to boiling, stirring to dissolve sugar. Stir in vegetables. Return mixture to boiling. Remove from heat. Can or freeze as below.
- Ladle hot relish into hot, sterilized half-pint or pint jars, leaving a 1/2-inch headspace. Wipe jar rims and adjust lids. Process in a boiling-water canner 5 minutes for half-pints or 10 minutes for pints (start timing when water returns to boil).
- Place the pot in a sink of ice water; stir relish to help it cool. Ladle relish into wide-top freezer containers, leaving a 1/2-inch headspace. Seal, label, and freeze up to 10 months.
Nutrition Facts(Vegetable Relish)
- Per serving:
- 20 kcal cal.,
- 0 g fat
- 0 mg chol.,
- 116 mg sodium,
- 5 g carb.,
- 0 g fiber,
- 0 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet