- make this recipe
- user reviews ()
- 12 pounds ripe tomatoes (about 25 tomatoes), peeled*
- 3 tablespoons packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons kosher salt or 4 teaspoons salt
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 cups lightly packed fresh basil leaves, chopped
- 1 cup lightly packed assorted fresh herbs (such as oregano, thyme, parsley, or Italian (flat-leaf) parsley), chopped
- 6 tablespoons lemon juice
1. Cut peeled tomatoes into chunks and add some of the chunks to the food processor. Cover and process until chopped. Transfer chopped tomatoes to a 7- to 8-quart nonreactive heavy pot. Repeat chopping remaining tomatoes, in batches, in the food processor. Add all tomatoes to the pot.
2. Add brown sugar, salt, vinegar, and black pepper to the tomato mixture. Bring to boiling. Boil steadily, uncovered, for 70 to 80 minutes, stirring occasionally, until mixture is reduced to about 11 cups and is desired sauce consistency. Remove from heat; stir in herbs.
3. Spoon 1 tablespoon lemon juice into each of six hot, clean pint canning jars. Ladle sauce into jars with lemon juice, leaving 1/2-inch headspace. Wipe the jar rims; adjust lids. Process filled jars in a boiling-water canner for 35 minutes (start time when water returns to a full boil). Remove jars; cool on wire racks.
- Stir in 1 tablespoon crushed red pepper with the herbs.
- Stir in 3 tablespoons chopped roasted garlic with the herbs.
- Stir in 1 cup snipped dried tomatoes (not oil-packed) with the herbs.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Peel away the dry outer layers of skin from garlic bulbs, leaving skins and cloves intact. Cut off about 1/2 inch from the pointed top portions, leaving bulbs intact but exposing the individual cloves. Place the garlic bulbs, cut sides up, in a 1- to 1 1/2-quart casserole. Drizzle with 1 tablespoon of the olive oil. Cover casserole. Bake for 40 to 50 minutes or until garlic is soft. Remove from oven. When garlic is cool enough to handle, remove garlic cloves from papers by squeezing the bottoms of the bulbs. Chop roasted garlic.
- Servings Per Recipe 22,
- cal. (kcal) 57,
- Fat, total (g) 1,
- carb. (g) 13,
- fiber (g) 3,
- sugar (g) 9,
- pro. (g) 2,
- vit. A (IU) 2235,
- vit. C (mg) 35,
- Thiamin (mg) 0,
- Riboflavin (mg) 0,
- Niacin (mg) 2,
- Pyridoxine (Vit. B6) (mg) 0,
- Folate (µg) 40,
- sodium (mg) 539,
- Potassium (mg) 619,
- calcium (mg) 50,
- iron (mg) 1,
- Vegetables () 2,
- Other Carb () 1,
- Fat () 1,
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet