- Line a 9x9x2-inch baking pan with foil, extending foil over edges of pan. Butter the foil; set pan aside.
- In a heavy 3-quart saucepan melt the 1 cup butter over low heat. Add brown sugar, sweetened condensed milk, and light corn syrup; mix well. Carefully clip candy thermometer to side of pan.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring frequently, until thermometer registers 248 degree F, firm-ball state. Mixture should boil at a moderate, steady rate over the entire surface. Reaching firm-ball stage should take 15 to 20 minutes.
- Remove saucepan from heat; remove candy thermometer from saucepan. Immediately stir in vanilla. Quickly pour the caramel mixture into prepared baking pan. When caramel is firm, use foil to lift it out of pan. Use a buttered knife to cut candy into 1-inch squares. Wrap each piece in clear plastic wrap. Makes 81 pieces or about 2-3/4 pounds.
From the Test Kitchen
Up to 1 week ahead prepare and wrap caramels. Store in a cool dry place in a tightly covered container.
Prepare Shortcut Caramels as directed above, except melt 2 squares (2 ounces) unsweetened chocolate with the butter or margarine.
Nutrition Facts(Shortcut Caramels)
- Per serving:
- 69 kcal cal.,
- 3 g fat
- (2 g sat. fat,
- 8 mg chol.,
- 38 mg sodium,
- 11 g carb.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet