Pink Coconut, Triple Chocolate, and Square Truffles
ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped
cup whipping cream
cup butter, cut up
cups shredded coconut
Pink gel food coloring or red food coloring (optional)
ounces chocolate-flavored candy coating, cut up
cup white chocolate baking pieces
- In a medium microwave-safe bowl combine semisweet chocolate, whipping cream, and butter. Microcook, uncovered, on 100 percent power (high) for 1 minute. Remove from microwave and stir until smooth. If necessary, return chocolate mixture to microwave and cook on high for 30 seconds more; stir until smooth. Use to make Coconut Truffles, Triple Chocolate Truffles, or Square Truffles. Let truffles stand at room temperature for 15 minutes before serving.
- After melting chocolate mixture, stir 2/3 cup coconut into the chocolate mixture. Cover bowl and refrigerate for 1-1/2 hours. Line two baking sheets with nonstick foil or lightly greased foil. Drop chocolate mixture from rounded teaspoons onto prepared sheets. Cover with waxed paper; freeze for 10 minutes. Meanwhile, tint remaining coconut, if desired, by combining coconut and 1 to 2 drops of gel pink food coloring or red food coloring; toss until coconut is tinted. Roll the chocolates between the palms of your hands into round balls, wetting hands if necessary. Roll the chocolate balls in remaining coconut; cover and refrigerate.
- After melting chocolate mixture in Step 1, above, cover bowl and refrigerate for 1-1/2 hours. Line two baking sheets with nonstick foil or lightly greased foil. Drop chocolate mixture from rounded teaspoons onto prepared sheets. Cover with waxed paper; freeze for 10 minutes. In a small microwave-safe bowl microcook the chocolate-flavored candy coating on high for 1 minute. Stir until smooth. If necessary, return to microwave and cook on high for 30 seconds more; stir until smooth. Using a fork, quickly dip the chocolate balls, one at a time, into coating. Draw the fork across the rim of the bowl to remove excess coating. Return to baking sheet. Let stand about 30 minutes or until coating is set.
- In another small bowl combine the white chocolate baking pieces and the shortening. Microcook on high for 30 seconds; stir until melted. If necessary, return to microwave and cook on high for 15 seconds more; stir until smooth. Drizzle over tops of chocolate-covered truffles. Let stand until set. Refrigerate truffles, tightly covered, up to 2 weeks.
- Line an 8-inch-square baking pan with nonstick foil or lightly greased foil, extending foil over edges of pan; set aside. Melt chocolate, whipping cream, and butter as in Step 1. Pour 3/4 cup chocolate mixture in prepared pan. Spread evenly. Sprinkle coconut evenly over chocolate layer. Pour remaining chocolate mixture over coconut; spread evenly. Freeze 1 to 48 hours. Use edges of foil to lift chocolate from pan. Cut chocolate into 36 squares. Place about 1/3 cup cocoa powder in a small bowl. Dredge truffles in cocoa powder. Refrigerate until 15 minutes before serving.
PINK COCONUT TRUFFLES:
TRIPLE CHOCOLATE TRUFFLES:
Nutrition Facts(Pink Coconut, Triple Chocolate, and Square Truffles)
- Per serving:
- 150 kcal cal.,
- 11 g fat
- (8 g sat. fat,
- 2 g monounsatured fat),
- 12 mg chol.,
- 17 mg sodium,
- 12 g carb.,
- 1 g fiber,
- 6 g sugar,
- 1 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet