- make this recipe
- user reviews ()
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 5 ounce can evaporated milk
- 1/2 cup butter
- 2 cups tiny marshmallows
- 3/4 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 12 ounces dark or bittersweet chocolate, chopped
- 2 teaspoons shortening
- Finely chopped peanuts (optional)
1. Butter the side of a medium heavy saucepan. In the saucepan, combine sugar, evaporated milk, and butter. Cook and stir over medium-high heat until mixture is boiling. Reduce heat to medium; continue boiling at a moderate, steady rate for 12 minutes, stirring occasionally.
2. Remove saucepan from heat. Stir in marshmallows, peanut butter, and vanilla. Transfer mixture to a large bowl. Chill for 45 minutes to 1 hour or until mixture is thick and can be molded.
3. Line a large baking sheet with waxed paper or parchment paper. Shape mixture into 1-inch balls; place on the prepared baking sheet. Freeze for 15 minutes.
4. In a medium saucepan, combine chocolate and shortening. Cook and stir over low heat until melted. Dip balls, one at a time, into melted chocolate. Let excess chocolate drip off balls. Place on a wire rack set over waxed paper. If desired, sprinkle with peanuts. Let stand until chocolate is set.* Makes about 50 truffles.
- If desired, when chocolate is set, drizzle with a little melted milk chocolate. Let stand until chocolate is set.
- Layer truffles between sheets of waxed paper in an airtight container; cover. Store in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks.