- Line a 9x5x3-inch loaf pan with foil, extending foil over edges of the pan. Butter the foil; set pan aside.
- Butter the sides of a heavy 1-1/2-quart saucepan. In the saucepan combine the 1 cup sugar and the corn syrup. Cook over medium-high heat to boiling, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon to dissolve sugar. This should take about 10 minutes. Avoid splashing mixture on sides of pan. Carefully clip candy thermometer to side of pan.
- Cook over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally, until the thermometer registers 280 degree F, soft-crack stage. Mixture should boil at a moderate, steady rate over the entire surface. Reaching soft-crack stage should take about 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a heavy 2-quart saucepan combine water, pectin, and baking soda. (Mixture will be foamy.) Cook over high heat to boiling, stirring constantly. This should take about 2 minutes. Remove saucepan from heat; set saucepan aside.
- When sugar mixture has reached soft-crack stage, remove the saucepan from heat; remove candy thermometer from saucepan. Return pectin mixture to high heat; cook until mixture just begins to simmer. Gradually pour the hot sugar mixture in a thin stream (slightly less than 1/8-inch diameter) into the boiling pectin mixture, stirring constantly. This should take 1 to 2 minutes. Cook, stirring constantly, 1 minute more.
- Remove saucepan from heat. Stir in orange extract, orange peel, and yellow and red food colorings. Pour candy mixture into prepared pan. Let stand about 2 hours or until firm.
- When firm, use foil to lift candy out of pan. Use a buttered knife to cut candy into about 3/4-inch squares. Roll squares in additional sugar. Store loosely covered. Makes about 72 pieces.
From the Test Kitchen
Prepare Orange Gumdrops as directed above, except substitute 3/4 teaspoon mint extract and 7 drops green food coloring for the orange extract, orange peel, and yellow and red food colorings.
Prepare Orange Gumdrops as directed above, except substitute 3 drops oil of cinnamon and 7 drops red food coloring for the orange extract, orange peel, and yellow and red food colorings.
Prepare Orange Gumdrops as directed above, except substitute 1-1/2 teaspoons lemon extract, 1 teaspoon finely shredded lemon peel, and 7 drops yellow food coloring for the orange extract, orange peel, and yellow and red food colorings.
Nutrition Facts(Orange Gumdrops)
- Per serving:
- 28 kcal cal.,
- 15 mg sodium,
- 7 g carb.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet