- Line an 8x4x2-inch loaf pan with foil, extending foil over edges of pan. Butter the foil; set pan aside.
- In a heavy 2-quart saucepan combine sugar, whipping cream, honey, and the 2 tablespoons butter or margarine. Cook over medium-high heat to boiling, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon to dissolve the sugar. This should take 6 to 8 minutes. Avoid splashing the mixture on sides of pan. Carefully clip candy thermometer to side of pan.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring frequently, until candy thermometer registers 250 degree F, hard-ball stage. Mixture should boil at moderate, steady rate over entire surface. Reaching hard-ball stage should take about 15 minutes.
- Remove saucepan from heat; remove candy thermometer from saucepan. Immediately stir in chopped dates, chopped almonds, and finely shredded orange peel. Quickly pour the caramel mixture into prepared loaf pan.
- When caramel is firm, use foil to lift it out of pan. Use a buttered knife to cut candy into 1-inch squares. Wrap each piece of clear plastic wrap. Makes 32 pieces or about 1 pound.
From the Test Kitchen
Up to 1 week ahead prepare and wrap caramels. Store in a cool dry place in a tightly covered container.
Nutrition Facts (Orange-Date Caramels)
- Per serving:
- 89 kcal ,
- 5 g fat
- (2 g sat. fat ,
- 12 mg chol. ,
- 12 g carb. ,
- 1 g fiber ,
- 1 g pro.