- Makes: 48 servings
- Yields: about 48 pieces or 1-1/2 pounds
- Prep: 20 mins
- Cook: 30 mins
- Butter two large baking sheets; set baking sheets aside. Butter the sides of a heavy 3-quart saucepan. In the saucepan combine sugar, light corn syrup, shredded orange peel, orange juice, and the 2 tablespoons butter. Cook over medium-high heat to boiling, stirring constantly with a wooden soon to dissolve sugar. This should take about 5 minutes. Avoid splashing mixture on sides of saucepan. Carefully clip the candy thermometer to side of saucepan.
- Cook over medium-low heat, stirring frequently, until thermometer registers 295 degree F, hard-crack stage. Mixture should boil at a moderate, steady rate over entire surface. Reaching hard-crack stage should take about 25 minutes.
- Remove saucepan from heat; remove candy thermometer from saucepan. Quickly sprinkle the sifted baking soda over the mixture, stirring constantly. Immediately pour mixture onto prepared baking sheets; sprinkle with coconut.
- If desired, stretch the candy by using two forks to lift and pull the candy as it cools. Pull gently to avoid tearing the candy. Cool completely. Break candy into pieces. Store tightly covered. Makes about 48 pieces or 1-1/2 pounds.
From the Test Kitchen
Up to 1 month ahead prepare brittle. Store in a cool dry place in a tightly covered container.
Nutrition Facts (Orange-Coconut Brittle)
- Per serving:
- 63 kcal cal.,
- 1 g fat
- (2 g sat. fat,
- 1 mg chol.,
- 53 mg sodium,
- 14 g carb.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet