The holidays wouldn't be the same without a traditional fudge recipe. A great make ahead recipe for your Christmas platter.
- Makes: 32 servings
- Yields: 1 pound (32 pieces)
- Prep: 20 mins
- Cool: 55 mins
- Cook: 30 mins
cup half-and-half or light cream
tablespoon light-colored corn syrup
- Line an 8 x 4 x 2-inch loaf pan with foil, extending foil over edges of pan. Butter foil; set pan aside.
- Butter sides of a heavy 2-quart saucepan. In pan combine sugar, milk, half-and-half, and corn syrup. Cook and stir over medium-high heat till mixture boils. Clip a candy thermometer to pan. Reduce heat to medium-low; continue boiling at a moderate, steady rate, stirring frequently, till thermometer registers 238 degrees F, soft-ball stage (25 to 35 minutes).
- Remove saucepan from heat. Add butter and vanilla, but do not stir. Cool, without stirring, to 110 degrees F (about 55 minutes).
- Remove thermometer from saucepan. Beat mixture vigorously till fudge becomes very thick and just starts to lose its gloss (about 10 minutes total).
- Immediately spread fudge in prepared pan. Score into squares while warm. When firm, use foil to lift it out of pan. Cut fudge into squares. Store tightly covered. Makes about 1 pound (32 pieces).
Nutrition Facts (Opera Fudge)
- 61 kcal cal.;
- 1 g Fat, total;
- 3 mg chol.;
- 1 g sat. fat;
- 13 g carb.;
- 10 RE vit. A;
- 8 mg sodium
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet