- Makes: 81 servings
- Yields: 81 pieces or 2-1/4 pounds
- Prep: 10 mins
- Cook: 51 mins
- Line a 9x9x2-inch baking pan with foil, extending foil over edges of pan. Butter the foil; set pan aside.
- In a heavy 3-quart saucepan melt the 1/2 cup butter and unsweetened chocolate over low heat. Add granulated sugar, brown sugar, cream, corn syrup, and coffee crystals; mix well. Cook over medium-high heat to boiling, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon to dissolve sugars. This should take 6 to 8 minutes. Avoid splashing mixture on sides of pan. Carefully clip candy thermometer to side of pan.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring frequently, until thermometer registers 248 degree F, firm-ball stage. Mixture should boil at a moderate, steady rate over the entire surface. Reaching firm-ball stage should take 45 to 55 minutes.
- Remove saucepan from heat; remove candy thermometer from saucepan. Quickly pour the caramel mixture into the prepared pan. When caramel is firm, use the foil to lift it out of the pan. Use a buttered knife to cut the candy into 1-inch squares. Wrap each piece in clear plastic wrap. Makes 81 pieces or about 2-1/4 pounds.
From the Test Kitchen
Up to 1 week ahead prepare caramels. Store in a cool dry place in a tightly covered container.
Nutrition Facts (Mocha Caramels)
- Per serving:
- 58 kcal cal.,
- 2 g fat
- (1 g sat. fat,
- 4 mg chol.,
- 19 mg sodium,
- 11 g carb.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet