A Christmas favorite, this crunchy candy of nuts and caramelized sugar is ready in 15 minutes when cooked in the microwave.
- Grease a small baking sheet; set aside. In a microwave-safe 4-cup glass measure, combine sugar and corn syrup. Microwave mixture, uncovered, in a 900- to 1200-watt microwave oven on 100% power (high) for 5 minutes, stirring twice.
- Stir in nuts and butter. Microwave mixture, uncovered, on 100% power (high) for 1 to 2 minutes more or just until mixture turns golden (mixture continues to cook and becomes more golden when removed from the microwave).
- Stir in vanilla and baking soda. Immediately pour mixture onto prepared baking sheet. Use two forks to lift and pull candy into a thin sheet as it cools (this helps make the brittle crisp).
- Cool brittle completely. Break into irregular pieces. Makes about 1/2 pound.
From the Test Kitchen
Layer pieces between waxed paper in an airtight container; cover. Store at room temperature for up to 1 week.
Nutrition Facts (Mixed-Nut Brittle)
- Per serving:
- 87 kcal cal.,
- 3 g fat
- (1 g sat. fat,
- 2 mg chol.,
- 72 mg sodium,
- 15 g carb.,
- 1 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet