This mint-layered fudge candy recipe, decorated for Christmas or St. Patrick's Day celebrations, is topped with walnuts. Make and refrigerate the fudge up to two weeks before serving.
- Makes: 64 servings
- Yields: 64 pieces or about 1-3/4 pounds
- Prep: 40 mins
- Cool: 55 mins
- Line an 8x8x2-inch baking pan with foil, extending foil over edges of pan. Butter the foil; set pan aside.
- Butter the sides of a heavy 2-quart saucepan. In the saucepan combine granulated sugar, milk, chocolate, and corn syrup. Cook over medium-high heat to boiling, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon to dissolve sugar. This should take about 5 minutes. Avoid splashing mixture on sides of pan. Carefully clip candy thermometer to side of pan.
- Cook over medium-low heat, stirring frequently, until thermometer registers 234 degree F, soft-ball state. Mixture should boil at a moderate, steady rate over the entire surface. Reaching soft-ball stage should take 20 to 25 minutes.
- Remove pan from heat. Add the 2 tablespoons butter and vanilla, but do not stir. Cool, without stirring, to lukewarm (110 degree F). This should take about 55 minutes.
- While the fudge is cooking, prepare the mint mixture. Place the 3 tablespoons butter and the creme de menthe into a small mixer bowl. Beat with an electric mixer on high speed until fluffy. Add the powdered sugar and beat until smooth. Cover and set aside.
- Remove candy thermometer from saucepan. Beat vigorously with the wooden spoon until fudge becomes very thick and just starts to lose its gloss. This should take about 7 minutes. Quickly turn fudge into prepared pan. Dollop mint mixture over fudge; press mint mixture evenly over fudge. Sprinkle nuts over mint mixture; press in lightly. While fudge is warm, score it into 1-inch squares. When candy is firm, use the foil to lift it out of the pan; cut candy into squares. Store tightly covered. Makes 64 pieces or about 1-3/4 pounds.
From the Test Kitchen
Up to 2 weeks ahead prepare fudge. Store in the refrigerator in a tightly covered container.
Nutrition Facts (Mint-Layer Fudge)
- Per serving:
- 56 kcal cal.,
- 2 g fat
- (1 g sat. fat,
- 5 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 5 g monounsatured fat),
- 3 mg chol.,
- 11 mg sodium,
- 9 g carb.,
- 0 g fiber,
- 9 g sugar,
- 0 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet