- Makes: 32 servings
- Yields: 32 candy bars
- Prep: 30 mins
- Cook: 11 mins
- Chill: 1 hr
Fruit and Nut Candy Bars
cup granulated sugar
cup half-and-half or light cream
3 ounce package cream cheese, softened
cups sifted powdered sugar
cup chopped mixed dried fruits
pounds dipping chocolate or confectioners coating
- Line an 8x8x2-inch baking pan with foil, extending foil over edges of pan. Butter the foil; set pan aside.
- In a heavy 2-quart saucepan combine the sugar, light cream, and the 1/4 cup butter. Cook over medium heat to boiling, stirring constantly to dissolve the sugar. This should take about 8 minutes.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, for 3 minutes. Mixture should boil at a moderate, steady rate over the entire surface. Remove pan from heat. Add cream cheese; stir until smooth. Add powdered sugar, dried fruits, nuts, and vanilla; stir until well combined. Spread mixture into the prepared pan. Chill about 1 hour or until firm. When firm, use foil to lift candy out of pan; cut candy into 2x1-inch rectangles.
- Melt the dipping chocolate or confectioners coating. Carefully dip the rectangles, one at a time, into the melted chocolate. Let excess coating drip off rectangles. Place the dipped rectangles on a baking sheet lined with waxed paper until dry. Store tightly covered in refrigerator. Makes 32 candy bars.
From the Test Kitchen
Up to 1 week ahead prepare candy bars. Store in the refrigerator in a tightly covered container.
Nutrition Facts (Fruit and Nut Candy Bars)
- Per serving:
- 201 kcal cal.,
- 12 g fat
- (8 g sat. fat,
- 8 mg chol.,
- 27 mg sodium,
- 25 g carb.,
- 1 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Related CategoriesCandy Recipes, Chocolate Cakes, Chocolate Cookies, Chocolate Desserts, Christmas Recipes, Dark Chocolate Desserts, Desserts, Easter Recipes, Fudge Recipes, Halloween Recipes, Milk Chocolate Desserts, Thanksgiving Recipes, Valentine's Day Recipes, Vegetarian Recipes, White Chocolate Desserts