Fruit and Nut Candy Bars
- Line an 8x8x2-inch baking pan with foil, extending foil over edges of pan. Butter the foil; set pan aside.
- In a heavy 2-quart saucepan combine the sugar, light cream, and the 1/4 cup butter. Cook over medium heat to boiling, stirring constantly to dissolve the sugar. This should take about 8 minutes.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, for 3 minutes. Mixture should boil at a moderate, steady rate over the entire surface. Remove pan from heat. Add cream cheese; stir until smooth. Add powdered sugar, dried fruits, nuts, and vanilla; stir until well combined. Spread mixture into the prepared pan. Chill about 1 hour or until firm. When firm, use foil to lift candy out of pan; cut candy into 2x1-inch rectangles.
- Melt the dipping chocolate or confectioners coating. Carefully dip the rectangles, one at a time, into the melted chocolate. Let excess coating drip off rectangles. Place the dipped rectangles on a baking sheet lined with waxed paper until dry. Store tightly covered in refrigerator. Makes 32 candy bars.
From the Test Kitchen
Up to 1 week ahead prepare candy bars. Store in the refrigerator in a tightly covered container.
Nutrition Facts (Fruit and Nut Candy Bars)
- Per serving:
- 201 kcal cal.,
- 12 g fat
- (8 g sat. fat,
- 8 mg chol.,
- 27 mg sodium,
- 25 g carb.,
- 1 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet