Double Chocolate-Almond Toffee
- Line a 13x9x2-inch baking pan with foil, extending foil over edges of pan. Sprinkle the toasted almonds on the bottom of foil-lined pan; set pan aside.
- Butter the sides of a heavy 2-quart saucepan. In pan melt the 1 cup butter over low heat. Stir in sugar, water, and corn syrup. Cook over medium-high heat to boiling, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon to dissolve sugar. This should take about 4 minutes. Carefully clip candy thermometer to side of pan.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring frequently, until thermometer registers 230 degree F, thread stage. Mixture should boil at a moderate, steady rate over the entire surface. Reaching thread stage should take 4 to 5 minutes. Stir in the unsweetened chocolate. Continue cooking over medium heat, stirring frequently, until thermometer registers 290 degree F, soft-crack stage. Reaching soft-crack stage should take about 15 minutes more. Watch carefully after candy mixture reaches 280 degree F.
- Remove pan from heat; remove thermometer. Pour mixture into the prepared pan. Let stand 2 to 3 minutes or until surface is firm. Sprinkle with chocolate pieces; let stand 1 to 2 minutes. When softened, spread pieces evenly over mixture. Chill for 30 minutes or until firm. Lift candy out of pan; break candy into pieces. Store tightly covered. Makes about 48 pieces or 1-1/3 pounds.
From the Test Kitchen
Up to 2 weeks ahead, prepare toffee. Store in the refrigerator in a tightly covered container.
Nutrition Facts (Double Chocolate-Almond Toffee)
- Per serving:
- 77 kcal cal.,
- 6 g fat
- (3 g sat. fat,
- 11 mg chol.,
- 42 mg sodium,
- 6 g carb.,
- 1 g fiber
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet