- make this recipe
- user reviews ()
- 1 1/2 cups chopped walnuts
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup light cream or half-and-half
- 1 tablespoon instant coffee crystals
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
1. Line a 9x5x3-inch loaf pan with foil, extending foil over edges of pan. Butter the foil; set pan aside.
2. Toast the chopped walnuts, spread nuts in a single layer in a shallow baking pan. Toast nuts in a 350 degree F oven about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally; keep nuts warm.
3. Butter the sides of a heavy 1-1/2-quart saucepan. In the saucepan combine brown sugar, sugar, cream, and coffee crystals. Cook over medium-high heat to boiling, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon to dissolve sugars. This should take about 4 minutes. Avoid splashing mixture on sides of pan. Carefully clip candy thermometer to side of pan.
4. Cook over medium heat, stirring frequently, until thermometer registers 236 degree F, soft-ball stage. Mixture should boil at a moderate, steady rate over the entire surface. Reaching soft-ball stage should take 6 to 8 minutes.
5. Remove saucepan from heat; remove candy thermometer from saucepan. Add the vanilla. Beat gently with the wooden spoon for 2 minutes; stir in walnuts. Quickly turn the candy mixture into the prepared pan. Cool 10 minutes. Use foil to lift the candy out of the pan; cut the candy into about 1-1/2-inch strips. Cut each strip into about 1-1/2-inch triangles. Store tightly covered. Makes about 36 pieces.
- Up to 1 week ahead, prepare nuts. Store in a cool dry place in a tightly covered container.
- Servings Per Recipe 36,
- cal. (kcal) 71,
- Fat, total (g) 4,
- chol. (mg) 1,
- sat. fat (g) 1,
- carb. (g) 10,
- pro. (g) 1,
- sodium (mg) 4,
- calcium (mg) 10,
- iron (mg) 0,
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet