cups chopped walnuts
cup packed brown sugar
cup granulated sugar
cup light cream or half-and-half
tablespoon instant coffee crystals
- Line a 9x5x3-inch loaf pan with foil, extending foil over edges of pan. Butter the foil; set pan aside.
- Toast the chopped walnuts, spread nuts in a single layer in a shallow baking pan. Toast nuts in a 350 degree F oven about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally; keep nuts warm.
- Butter the sides of a heavy 1-1/2-quart saucepan. In the saucepan combine brown sugar, sugar, cream, and coffee crystals. Cook over medium-high heat to boiling, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon to dissolve sugars. This should take about 4 minutes. Avoid splashing mixture on sides of pan. Carefully clip candy thermometer to side of pan.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring frequently, until thermometer registers 236 degree F, soft-ball stage. Mixture should boil at a moderate, steady rate over the entire surface. Reaching soft-ball stage should take 6 to 8 minutes.
- Remove saucepan from heat; remove candy thermometer from saucepan. Add the vanilla. Beat gently with the wooden spoon for 2 minutes; stir in walnuts. Quickly turn the candy mixture into the prepared pan. Cool 10 minutes. Use foil to lift the candy out of the pan; cut the candy into about 1-1/2-inch strips. Cut each strip into about 1-1/2-inch triangles. Store tightly covered. Makes about 36 pieces.
From the Test Kitchen
Up to 1 week ahead, prepare nuts. Store in a cool dry place in a tightly covered container.
Nutrition Facts(Coffee Walnuts)
- Per serving:
- 71 kcal cal.,
- 4 g fat
- (1 g sat. fat,
- 1 mg chol.,
- 4 mg sodium,
- 10 g carb.,
- 0 g fiber,
- 1 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet