This homemade candy contains lots of butter, which keeps it from sticking to the foil, making it even easier to make!
- Yields: 2-3/4 pounds (about 48 pieces)
- Prep: 50 mins
- Stand: 1 hr
- Line a 15x10x1-inch baking pan with foil, extending excess over edges of pan. Set pan aside. Butter the sides of a heavy 3-quart saucepan. Melt the 2 cups butter in saucepan. Add sugar, 1/3 cup water, molasses, and 1 tablespoon espresso powder. Cook and stir over medium-high neat until mixture boils.
- Clip a candy thermometer to side of pan. Reduce heat to medium; continue boiling at a moderate steady rate, stirring frequently, until thermometer registers 290 degree F, soft-crack stage (about 25 minutes). Watch carefully after 280 degree F to prevent scorching.
- Remove saucepan from heat; remove thermometer. Stir in vanilla. Pour candy into the prepared pan. Let candy stand about 1 hour or until firm. Use foil to lift candy out of pan. Break candy into pieces that are about 2 inches in size.
- Melt the 3 tablespoons butter in a heavy medium saucepan. Stir in the 1 teaspoon espresso powder till dissolved. Add chocolate pieces and melt over low heat, stirring often. Place pecans in a shallow dish or on waxed paper.
- Dip half of each candy piece into melted chocolate mixture, coating all sides. Place dipped candy on waxed paper. Sprinkle with pecans. Chill until chocolate is firm. Store in a tightly covered container. Makes about 2-3/4 pounds (about 48 piecies).
From the Test Kitchen
Reach Out to Friends:
With old-fashioned chocolate-dipped Coffee-Pecan Toffee. Package the pieces in a cone-shaped paper container. Simply lay squares of parchment paper, textured gold paper, and wire mesh atop one another, then roll and twist into a cone. Tie the outside of the cone with ribbon and secure the candies inside with cellophane.
Nutrition Facts (Coffee-Pecan Toffee)
- Per serving:
- 171 kcal cal.,
- 13 g fat
- (7 g sat. fat,
- 24 mg chol.,
- 91 mg sodium,
- 11 g carb.,
- 1 g fiber
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet