- Line a 8x4x2-inch loaf pan with foil, extending foil over edges of the pan. Spray foil with nonstick cooking spray; set aside.
- In a 1-1/2-quart heavy saucepan combine the 1 cup sugar and the corn syrup. Cook over medium-high heat to boiling, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon for 3 minutes to dissolve sugar. Avoid splashing mixture on sides of pan (see How to Avoid Gritty Candy, below). Carefully clip candy thermometer to side of pan.
- Cook over medium heat (mixture should boil at a moderate, steady rate over the entire surface), stirring occasionally, until the thermometer registers 280 degree F, (soft-crack stage) about 7 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a heavy 2-quart saucepan combine coconut milk, water, pectin, and baking soda. (Mixture will be foamy.) Bring to boiling over medium heat, stirring constantly. This should take about 2 minutes. Remove saucepan from heat; set saucepan aside.
- When sugar mixture in first saucepan has reached soft-crack stage, remove the saucepan from heat; remove candy thermometer. Return pectin mixture to boiling. Gradually pour the hot sugar mixture in a thin stream into the boiling pectin mixture, stirring constantly (this step should take 1 to 2 minutes). Cook, stirring constantly, 1 minute more.
- Remove saucepan from heat. Pour candy mixture into prepared pan. Let stand about 2 hours or until firm.
- When firm, use foil to lift candy out of pan. Use a wet knife to cut candy into about 3/4-inch squares. Roll squares in Coconut Sugar. Store loosely covered. Makes about 45 pieces.
From the Test Kitchen
Prepare as directed above except omit the coconut milk and the 1/4 cup water. Replace with 3/4 cup ruby red grapefruit juice. After combining both mixtures, stir in 1/2 teaspoon grated grapefruit peel. Tint with one drop of red food coloring. Roll in Coconut Sugar, as directed.
- Place 1/2 cup toasted coconut in a food processor. Cover and process until very finely ground. Add 1/4 cup granulated sugar. Store in an airtight container. Makes 1/2 cup.
Nutrition Facts(Coconut Gumdrops)
- Per serving:
- 41 kcal cal.,
- 1 g fat
- 21 mg sodium,
- 9 g carb.,
- 7 g sugar
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet